Opportunity Knocks But Squandered By Leading Presidential Candidates
I watched the Presidential debate last week and while the CNBC moderators found time to ask a question about fantasy football, the leading GOP candidates squandered another great opportunity to bring America’s major health problems to the front and center of the presidential race.
However, kudos to Gov. Mike Huckabee, who raised the issue for the second debate in a row when he said “we need to find an urgent cure for heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers and cancer” due to the huge costs, direct and indirect, associated with these epidemics.
The only support Gov. Huckabee received on the night, from either the candidates or the moderators, was from John Kasich, Gov. of Ohio, who said, “We need to provide incentives for folks to stay healthy”.
However heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, cancer and other health problems are not the root causes of premature death; they’re the proximal causes. The root causes are the actions we take; things we do every day like smoking, what we eat and drink and how active/inactive we are.
While we continue to seek cures for Alzheimers and cancer, we already know the solutions! We have the answers for heart disease and diabetes. All we need to do is take massive action and if we did this we’d simultaneously reduce the risks associated with Alzheimers and cancer.
I’ve listed 5 Simple (not Easy) things you can do today:
- Develop an active lifestyle you enjoy and make moving throughout the day a high priority.
- Develop a list of processed junk foods you’re going to avoid or at least minimize.
- Develop another list of healthy whole foods you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
- Drink plenty of water and significantly reduce the sodas, including diet sodas.
- Develop your knowledge about exercise, nutrition and sleep and make sure you look after your body, especially your heart and your brain.
To help you get started click here to download my Free Report – The X Factor RECIPE for Success.
Until the next time remember my motto:
You don’t have to be fit and healthy to start, but you do have to start to be fit and healthy.
P.S. Want to ease into the best shape of your life, regardless of your current age, weight or fitness level? Check out my book, The eXercies Factor, on sale now!